Thursday, July 16, 2009

The Great Circus Parade

The Great Circus Parade has been a tradition in my family ever since I can remember...I remember my dad and my Uncles going down the day before to stake out our spot underneath this bridge to ensure we were out of the elements, be it rain or shine. They would camp overnight to make sure we had the best spot!! I remember going down and having a port a potty in our suburban so that when we had to go to the bathroom we could go to the car and go (its the small things).



(Caption above pic: I have never seen this before in a parade - there were lots of babies accompanying what I can only guess to be their moms in the parade. Must be conditioning them to crowds and working?)

It was a great family tradition and I was very upset when it left town in 1993 and didn't come back. Now that I have a child I really want to pass the tradition down to her of going to the parade, but I'm not sure how long it will be here unfortunately. It was back this year and we went, but not sure about next year. Regardless, I will be taking my family every time it is in town and it is a tradition I want to pass on.



The only thing missing this year from the parade that I can remember was the 40 horse hitch. It was a spectacular sight, have to see it to believe it (and give it LOTS of room around the corners). I was disappointed not to see that - but seeing all the wagons brought back so many memories.







This year we went down with my friend Erin and her two sons and her brother and his child. She has a little boy, Micah who is 4 months younger than Kaiya - Kaiya was more interested in him than the parade, but I have the pictures to show her she was there!!

No comments: